The watermill in Sudweyhe is situated near to the Hache. The water for the wheel comes from a mill pond, which is fed from a ditch, conected upstream the Hache.
A mill at "Weye" was mentioned in the years around 1260 as a fief of "Heinrichs des Bogeners", Earl of Oldenburg-Wildeshausen. Around 1420 the mill was a fief of the archbishop of Bremen, after 1648 (the thirty years of war) there were different owners until 1983. The mill was operateted by millers as leaseholder.
Even before 1718 the riverbed of the Hache was rebuild by humans and ended in an artificial waterfall which gave a stable level for the necessary difference in height for driving a mill wheel.
There are old memorial stones, shown in the walls of the house passage, which forms the approach road to the inner court of the estate.
The area of the estate is in private property, the mill and its garden are in the property of the municipality Weyhe since 1981.
Comprehensive renovation works began in 1982 and were finished in 1984, when a new mill wheel was installed.
This wheel had to be renewed again in the meantime by a private initiative in Dezember 2006 and inaugurated in June 2007 officially.
The mill can be visited, in its rooms, there are periodicaly art exhibitions.
The adjoining building often is used by the associations of the municipality, in the garden, many cultural events take place in the summer - mostly on Sunday.
Hours: saturday 15:00 - 18:00 o'clock, sun- and holidays 11:00 - 17:00 o'clock and with agreements.
Contacts for sight-seeing.: Gemeinde Weyhe - 0 42 03 / 71-0
The surrounding lands are in private property, too. Some areas are open for the public since old times, other ranges - like the park on the estates yard - are forming a private nature reserve for animals and plants and therefore they are not accessible to the public.
Our other galleries are including pictures of these non-public areas.
Further pictures are in preparation.
To all pictures applies: © by Rainer Tatje, www.tatje.de
All of the pictures are unchanged copies of our originals, exactly as they came from the cameras.
Cameras: Until October 2005 - Kodac DC280 (2 megapixels), until August 2010 - Canon PowershotT A520 (4 megapixels), from September 2010 different cameras
The commercial use of all pictures from the website www.tatje.de as well as the publication in print- and radio media must be permitted by the operator by www.tatje.de. The publication for private purposes, e.g. on private Internet sides as well as the publication by non-profit associations, organizations, authorities and municipalities will be permitted only if a combined reference to the copyright and origin of the pictures on www.tatje.de - e.g. in the form of "© by www.tatje.de" - is visible directly.
In this case, we ask for a short notification, e.g. by E-Mail with our contact form.